Dr. T.B. Irving provided Muslims with the first translation of the Quran into American English. Below is his translation of Surah Ya Sin from his work The Qur'an: The Noble Reading.
In the name of God, the Mercy-giving, the Merciful!
(I) * Y. S.
* By the Wise Reading, * you are an emissary * [sent] along a Straight Road ** with arevelation from the Powerful, the Merciful, * so you may warn a folk whose forefathers have not been warned, and hence they are unaware.
Fate and Destiny
* The statement has been proven to be true about most of them, yet they still will not believe. * We have placed fettes around their necks which reach up to their chins till they seem to be out of joint. * We have placed a barrier before them and another barrier behind them, and have covered them up so they do not notice anything.
** It is all the same for them whether you warn them or do not warn them; they still will not believe. * You will only warn someone who follows the Reminder and dreads the Mercy-giving even though He is Unseen. Proclaim forgiveness and generous payment to him. * We revive the dead and write down whatever they have sent on ahead and [left] as traces; We calculate everythin in an open ledger.
The Town Which Was Warned
(II) * Compose a parable for them about the inhabitants of the town when emissaries came to them. * When We sent them two, they rejected them both, so We reinforced them with a third. They said; "You are only human beings like ourselves. The Mercy-giving has net sent anything down; you are only lying!" * They said: "Our Lord knows that we have been [sent] to you as emmissaries. * We have only to proclaim things clearly."
* They said: "We sense something unlucky about you; so if you will not stop, we'll expel you, and painful torment from us will afflict you." * They said: "The bad luck you sense lies within yourselves. Will you not be reminded? Indeed you are such dissipated folk!"
** A man came hurrying up from the further end of the city. he said: "O my people, follow the emissaries! * Follow someone who does not ask for any payment while they are being guided."
(II cont'd) * Why should I worship the One Who fashioned me and to Whom you will (all) return? * Should I adopt other gods instead of Him? If the Mercy-giving should want any harm [to happen] to me, their intercession would never help me out in any way nor would they rescue me: * I'd then be completely lost! ** I believe in your Lord, so hear me!"
* He was told: "Enter the Garden." He said: "If my people only knew * how my Lord has forgiven me and placed me among the honored ones!"
* We did not send any army down from Heaven to his folk after him, nor do We ever send any down. * There was only a single Blast, and imagine, they [lay] shrivelled up! ** What a pity it is with such worshippers! No messenger has ever come to them unless they made fun of him. * Have they not seen how many generations We have wiped out before them who will never return to them? * Each will be arraigned so they all stand before Us.
(III) * The dead earth serves as a sign for them; We reveve it and bring forth grain from it which they may eat. * We have placed date groves and vineyards on it, and make springs flow forth from it ** so they may eat its fruit. Their own hands did not produce it. So, will they not give thanks? * Glory be to the One Who has created every kind of species such as the earth grows, their own kind, and even some things they do not know!
* Another sign for them is night; We strip daylight off from it so they are pluged into darkness! * The sun runs along on a course of its own. Such is the designof the Powerful, the Aware! * And We have designed phases for the moon so it finally appears again like an old palm frond. ** The sun dare not overtake the moon nor does night outpace the day. Each floats along in its own orbit.
* Another for them is how We transported their offspring on the laden ship. * We fave created something like it for them on which they must sail. * If We wished, We might even let them drown and they would have no one tho cry out to, nor would they be rescued * except as a mercy from Us and to enjoy things for a wile.
** When they are told: "Heed what lies in front of you and what's behind you so that you may find mercy," * not ont of their Lord's signs has come to them except they tried to avoid it. * When they are (also) told: "Spend something God has provided you with," the ones who disbelieve tell those who believe: "Should we feed someone whom God would feed if He so wishes? You are quite obviously in error!"
The Last Trumpet
*They say: "When will this promise occur if you are so truthful?" * They need only wait for a single Blast to catch them while they are arguing away. ** They will not even manage to draw up a will, nor will they return to their own people.
(IV) * The Trumpet will be blow and then they will swarm forth from their tombs to meet their Lord. * They will say: "It's too bad for us! Whoefer has raised us up from our sleeping quarters? This is what the Mercy-giving promised; the emissaries have been telling the truth."
* There will be only a single Blast and then they will all be assembled in Our presence. * On that day no soul will be harmed in any way, and you will be rewarded only for what you have been doing. ** The inhabitnts of the Garden will be happily at work of that day. * They and thier spouses will relax on couches in shady nooks; * they will have fruit and they shall have anything they request. * "Peace!" will be a greeting from a Merciful Lord.
Satan a Hindrance
* "Step aside today, you criminals! ** Did I not contract you, O children of Adam, not to serve Satan? He is an open enemy of yours. * And to worship Me [Alone]! This is a Straight Road. * He has led a numerous mob of you astray. Havent you been reasoning things out? * This is Hell, which you were threatened with. * Roast in it today because you have disbelieved!"
** That day We shall seal their mouths up whil their hands will speak to Us and their feet bear witness about what they have been earning. * If We so wished, We would put their eyes out so they must grope along the Road. Yet how will they ever norice [anything]? * If We wished, We would nail them to the spot so they would not manage to keep on going nor would they ever return.
(V) * Anyone We grant long life to, We switch around within creation. Will theynot use their reason?
Muhammad no Poet
*We have not taught him any poetry nor would it be fitting for him. It is merely a Reminder and a clear Reading ** so he may warn anyone who is alive and the Sentence may be confirmed against disbelievers.
* Have they not considered how We have created livestock for them out of what Our own hands have made, and they are masters over them? * We let them tame them: some of them are to be ridden, while others they eat; * they recieve benefits and drinks from them. Will they not act grateful?
* Yet they have adopted [other] gods instead of God [Alone, so that they may be supported. ** They still cannot achieve their support; yet they stand up for them like an army in thier prescence! * Do not let their statemant sadden you; We know what they are keeping secret and what they are disclosing.
* Has not man considered how We created him from a drop of semen? Yet he is an open adversary! * He makes something up to be compared with Us and forgets how he was created. He even says: "Who will revive [our] bones once they have rotted away?"
*SAY: "The One Who raised them up in the first place will revive them. He is Awware of all creation, ** the One Who grants you fire from green trees. Notice how you kindle a fire for them. * Is not Whoever created Heaven and Earth Able to create the same as them?"
Of course [He is]! He is the Creator, the Aware. * Once He wishes anything, His command only needs to tell it: "Be"; and it is!
* Glory be to Him Whose hand
holds sovereignty over everything!
To Him will you return.