There are a dozen things that we can do immediately in order to achieve peace and harmony within the family:
- Pray to Allah together daily.
- Remember Allah often by doing Dhikr (remembrance of Allah), making Dua (supplication) and using terminology such as "Bismillah" and "Alhamdu lillah" regularly.
- Fast together often, not just during Ramadan.
- Read, memorize, recite, study and discuss the Holy Quran, Hadiths, and the lives of the Prophets(peace be upon them), especially the last Prophet Muhammad(peace and blessings be upon him) and his Sahaba (companions) to gain knowledge and understanding of our Deen (way of life).
- Be positive role models by following the example of Prophet in each and every aspect of our lives. Let's strive to apply the principles of the Holy Quran to our daily lives.
- Develop love, manners and respect for each other by hugging, speaking in low voices, saying "please" and "thank you," and showing compassion and genuine concern for each other.
- Clearly define and assign specific tasks and responsibilities for all family members, so each one can actively participate and learn to willingly help each other (be involved).
- Communicate with each other regularly. Have family discussions. Encourage everyone to share his or her feelings, thoughts, and opinions. Don't just talk, listen. Remember, we have two ears and one mouth, so we should listen twice as much as we speak.
- Consult each other regularly. Establish Shura (consultation) within the family. Set goals and work towards them together.
- Establish a library of Islamic books, magazines, audio tapes and videos to read, view and listen to together. Numerous tapes and videos of Quranic recitations, Islamic songs, Islamic poetry and lectures by prominent Muslim scholars have been produced.
- Visit the local mosque or Islamic center together for prayer, classes, Eid celebrations and other activities.
- Relax, unwind and reduce stress together. Play board games. Walk. Play outdoor games. Visit a park, playground or museum together or go on a picnic together. The key word is "together". In order to achieve peace and harmony within the family, we must make a commitment to do things "TOGETHER" - as a family - whether it's praying to Allah or just relaxing!
Add new comment