How tos of Eid Day
The first day of the Islamic lunar month Shawwaal is the Eid ul-Fitr day
marking a day of celebaration and thanks for Allah, our Creator and Cherishor.
Ramadan ends here. Most Muslim celebarate Eid for at least 3 days.
Here is what the Prophet use to do on the day of Eid (Sunnah), May Allah's
peace and blessings be upon him:
- To rise early in the morning.
- Take a full bath.
- Clean the teeth.
- Wear the best cloths that he had.
- Wear perfume.
- To eat something sweet like dates before leaving home.
- Go to the Eid prayer location very early. (The Prophet use to offer
Eid prayer in the central location, that is not to offer it in a mosque
of a locality without any legitimate excuse).
- The Prophet used to go to the Eid Prayer location by one route and
will return through another route.
- He used to go for Eid on foot.
- He used to chant slowly on the way to the Eid prayer location the
following words: Allahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar, Laa ilaaha illallahu
Wallahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar, Wa lillahil Hamd." (Translation: Allah
is the greatest, He is the greatest. There is no god except Allah. He
is the greatest. All praises and thanks are for Him)
- The Prophet used to give Sadqa-e-Fitr (zakatul fitr) for before the
Eid day. But if you have not done so please give now before the Eid.
(Giving just before Eid is ok but against the spirit and the purpose
of it.(this year in America it is $10 per person.)
Method of Eid prayers
Eid Salat (prayer) consist of two raka'ats with six takbeers in congrigation
of Muslims followed by the Khutba of Eid.
- Follow the Imam by raising both hands up to the ears, say Allahu Akbar,
this is the first Takbeer to enter in the Salat.
- Then fold your hands in the front and recite the Sanaa', subhaanakallahumma...
till the end and
- Then say Allahu Akbar thrice, following you imam, each time raising
both hands up to the ears and droping them. After each takbeer there
is going to be a slight pause in which Subhanallah may be recited thrice.
- After the third takbeer the hands should be folded in front and listen
to the imam reciting Aoozubillah, Bismillah, Surah Fateha and some other
- Then perform Ruku as Imam says Allahu Akbar and
- Then go to Sajdah as usual following your imams takbeer.
- In the second rakaat imam will first recite Surah Fateha and some
other Surah, then will say three takbeers after it. In all these three
takbeers hands will not to be folded but dropped after each takbeer.
- Then go into the Ruku just after the fourth takbeer.
- Listening to Khutbah after the Eid Salaat is Wajib.
(The above method is based on Hanfi school of Islamic method which is
followed by about 75% Muslims in the world)