Rate this Article
SoundVision.com: Glossary of Islamic Terms
GLOSSARY OF ISLAMIC TERMS
Compiled by Prof. Ishaq Zahid
C D E
F G H
I J K
L M N
O P Q
R S T
U V W
X Y Z
Literally means "submission to the will of Allah." The most important and pivotal concept in Islam is the oneness of God. See Allah for more on the conept of God. Islam teaches that all faiths have, in essence, one common message:
- the existence of a Supreme Being, the one and only God, whose sovereignty is to be acknowledged in worship and in the pledge
- to obey His teaching and commandments, conveyed through His messengers and prophets who were sent at various times and in many places throughout history.
Islam demands a commitment to submit and surrender to God so that one could live in peace; peace (salam) is achieved through active obedience to the revealed Commandments of God, for God is the Source of all Peace. Commitment to Islam entails striving for peace through a struggle for justice, equality of opportunity, mutual caring and consideration for others' rights, and continuous research and acquisition of knowledge for the better protection and utilization of the resources of the universe. The basic beliefs of Islam are:
- the Uniqueness of the one and only God who is Sovereign of the universes;
- the Revelation of the teaching and commandments of God through Angels in heaven to Prophets on earth, and written in sacred writings which all have the same transcendent source; these contain the will of God which marks the way of peace for the whole universe and all mankind;
- the Day of judgement which inaugurates the Afterlife in which God rewards and punishes with respect to human obedience to His will.
Islam teaches that human diversity is a sign of the richness of God's mercy, and that God wills human beings to compete with each other in goodness in order to test who is the finest in action; this is, according to Islam, the reason for the creation of the universe. A person who enters the fold of Islam is called a Muslim.
Post your comment
|Search The Quran|
|Something to Ask...|
|I seek the forgiveness of Allah, there is no true god except Allah, the Ever-Living, the Self-Subsisting, and I turn to Him in repentance.|