Rate this Article
I ask myself tonight!
By Sound Vision Staff Writer
"Oh how swiftly, it's mid-Ramadan now
I sit here, wondering and thinking how,
Have I spent my first days of Ramadan fruitfully?
Or have I wasted the time unknowingly?"
Ramadhan comes, for a short month it's here
Will I ever meet the Ramadan next year?
Allah Oh Allah, help me guide my heart through
For only You know, if I've devoted enough
-excerpts of the poem "Not done enough this
Ramadan" by Udiana Jamalludin
Ramadan, as usual, has flown by. Despite
planning beforehand, many of us may have gotten caught up in a routine after
accustoming ourselves to the change in schedule the blessed month brings.
This may have affected our initial plans
to increase our worship, contemplation and to seek Allah's Forgiveness and Mercy
with greater fervor. But the last ten days and nights of Ramadan are still ahead
for us to benefit from. Ask yourself these questions and see what you can do
to make the most of what's left of Ramadan this year, Insha Allah.
1. Have I kept pace with the amount of Quran
I wanted to read, or have I fallen behind?
2. If so, how much do I have to read on
a daily basis the rest of Ramadan to catch up?
3. Have I tried to attend Tarawih regularly,
or did I use weak excuses to get out of it?
4. Did I ever pray the night prayer?
5. Did I try praying my five daily prayers
with more sincerity, concentration, and focus than usual?
6. Did I invite anyone over for Iftar (breaking
7. Did I help any needy person, even a panhandler
or beggar, when I was fasting?
8. Did I regularly seek Allah's Forgiveness
and Mercy with sincerity, fear and hope?
9. Did I encourage my family to fast or
participate in regular opportunities for more rewards that come with Ramadan
(i.e. good deeds in general, but also Tarawih, more reading of the Quran, etc.).
10. Did I memorize any more Quran than what
I knew before Ramadan started?
11. Did I try to be more patient in Ramadan
than I normally am?
12. Did I try to control my anger, especially
13. Did I try harder to avoid backbiting
14. Did I constantly check my intentions,
to make sure that my good deeds were for the sake of Allah alone, not to impress
others, gain their favor, or to show off?
15. Was there even an atom of pride in my
16. Was I quieter and more contemplative?
17. Did I cry in my prayers?
18. Did I read more Islamic literature apart
from the Quran?
19. Did I make sincere repentance to Allah,
really feeling sorry for my sins?
20. Did I forgive those who hurt me?
21. Did I avoid hurting anyone with my attitude,
words, intentions or actions?
22. Did I give any more Sadaqah (charity)
than I normally give?
23. Did I share the message of Ramadan and
Islam with a non-Muslim?
24. Did I share the message of Ramadan and
Islam with a non-practicing Muslim family member or friend?
25. Did I feel annoyed at being hungry while
fasting or did I rejoice?
our Zakat Page with Zakat
Page for More articles on Ramadan
LAST TEN DAYS OF RAMADAN:
things you can do on the Nights of Power
in Front of Allah-It's not impossible
Personal Duas to Choose From
the Prophet Muhammad did in his Sajdah
ask myself tonight!
salau ibrahim, nigeria -
wrote on 8/5/2010 10:07:19 AM
Comment: i love it all.may Allah give u all great knowledge and wisdom
ASSIYYA WEYS, philippines -
wrote on 10/28/2005 2:20:57 PM
Comment: in the name of ALLAH most gracious and most merciful...when i read the question tears fall to my eyes...cos ive answer in negative wys im sad but may allah 4give me in this last days of ramadan INSHAALLAH..
NURUDEEN ADEDIMEJI, LAGOS, NIGERIA -
wrote on 10/21/2005 10:59:38 AM
Comment: I have tried to answer all 24 questions in the affirmative but all my tongue could utter was "Allahuma innaka afughun, tuhibul afgha, faafughanii" May Allah strengthen us in the remaining days of Ramadhan to be able to answer yes to all. Maa Salaam.
Sheriffdeen Busari, Nigeria -
wrote on 11/5/2004 5:09:51 PM
Comment: By Allah, it only takes Allah's rahma to have the answers positive. I feel grieved and hence pray Allah forgives us all and make us accomplish the task.
fawziyah, nigeria -
wrote on 11/3/2004 6:03:19 AM
Comment: salam alaykum
felt like crying cos i asked those questions and most of my answers were negative
well i know it's not too late
may Allah forgive and strengthen us all
Post your comment